It is a combat sport from Thailand that uses stand-up striking along with various clinching techniques.
Muay Thai is similar to other Indochinese kickboxing systems, namely pradal serey from Cambodia, tomoi from Malaysia,lethwei from Myanmar and muay Lao from Laos.
Descended from muay boran, muay thai is Thailand’s national sport.The word muay derives from the Sanskrit mavya which means “to bind together”.
Muay thai is referred to as the “Art of Eight Limbs” or the “Science of Eight Limbs” because it makes use of punches, kicks, elbows and knee strikes, thus using eight “points of contact”, as opposed to “two points” (fists) as in boxing classes and classic western boxing training or “four points” (hands and feet) used in other more regulated combat sports, such as kickboxing, boxing, and savate.
A practitioner of muay thai is known as a nak muay. Western practitioners are sometimes called nak muay farang, meaning “foreign boxer.
About Kru Tom:
Progresive Fighting Sysytems , Jeet Kune Do and The Filipino Martial Arts
• Personal Trainers Certificate By Joe Maffie I.M.D.C. 1994
• Apprentice Instructor, by Paul Vunak P.F.S. 1997
Chinese Martial Arts.
• Iron Palm International Organization Certified Iron Palm Practitioner 1996
• Began traveling, training and fighting in Thailand in 1991
• In 1996 was given permission to teach Muay Thai overseas
• 1998 was named a U.S. Representative of Grandmaster Yodtong and asked to help spread the art of Muay Thai to the United State’s and the world.
• Fought in festival and regional fights in Pattaya, Banglamung, Rayong, Udon Tani, Ayuttaya, Buri Ram, and Vientien, Laos with a record of 27-2.
Over Thirty years practicing the martial arts, and close to 20 teaching.
Sityodtong USA, Sityodtong LA, are copyrighted trademarked organizations and I am not representing either of them . I am friends with both but am not a representative of either organization. I am not trying to represent otherwise, or use the name.
Want To Try Kickboxing Classes For Free?